Looking at food as a young New Yorker

Friday, May 30, 2008

Its been some time now... (get ready to read a lot and not look at pictures)

I haven’t posted in a while and I can’t exactly figure out why. It’s true that I have been extremely busy (more extremely busy than normal) but even in busy times I have found the motivation to write and reflect upon my cooking at eating experiences.

I have found that in the past couple of weeks I’ve been doing more cooking and thinking about cooking than normal. Last night for example, instead of coming home and doing things that normal people do like watch TV or whatever else it is that other people do (I don’t really even know anymore) I spent a decent portion of the night reading The French Laundry Cookbook and experimenting with how to extract chlorophyll from green plants.

This weekend, instead of going out and hanging out with other human beings, I plan on cooking for my parents, playing around with some fresh Morel mushrooms and teaching myself all about how to make elegant and delicious lobster dishes.

Part of the reason I’m staying in Friday and Saturday nights is so I can bum around Bowery on Saturday and invest and improve upon our current (circa 1987) food processor so that I can actually puree things.

In the past few weeks I have been eating out a little. We went to Blue Hill and had an excellent Mother’s Day meal. I was also treated to a tasting menu and WD-50 and had just as awesome and culinarily cerebral time as my first tasting visit over a year and a half ago. I even felt the urge to dine by myself last night (before the chlorophyll experiment) and enjoyed a warm uni pannini and sepia short noodles at el quinto pino.

I guess what I’m trying to get at here is that I’ve been a little more obsessed with food than I usually am and I think that as part of this current phase I have felt a little less motivated to write about food and a lot more interested in figuring out how I can know more about food and more importantly how I can be a better cook.

In the past few days however, I have had a couple of people mention the blog to me and tell me how much they appreciate it, which made me think more about the site and how I enjoy it as a forum to reflect on my food experiences and thoughts and not keep them so bottled up and to myself—there are so many things going on in my head that I’m actually starting to feel a little overwhelmed. That being said I really want to do a better job of writing more frequently and getting my thoughts and pictures (something I haven’t been taking a lot of recently) out there a bit more. Thanks everyone for sticking with me.

1 comment:

jeremy said...

lack of picture/text updates is acceptable if it means a good old fashion new england clam bake is somewhere on the horizon....

btw, are you make green pasta with C55H70O6N4Mg?