Looking at food as a young New Yorker

Friday, May 2, 2008

Sausage and Booze

So I haven’t been posting a lot lately and I have several excuses ragning from laziness to work to etc… But this week I’ve actually been too busy cooking! After finishing the venison sausage earlier in the week I kept on thinking about how I could make the whole sausage thing better. It turned out that the final venison product was actually pretty good but I wasn’t extremely pleased with venison as a base.

This prompted me to try a couple of tried and true sausage bases, pork and lamb. With the pork I wanted to make one Asian inspired sausage and one pork chop inspired sausage (taking inspiration from how I like to eat pork chops.) With the lamb I tried to convert my meatball recipe into sausage form.

Pork chop sausage= Chopped granny Smith Apples, cinnamon, cloves, coriander, ground fennel and whole fennel seed with a little maple syrup

Asian Pork Sausage= Lots of Garlic, Onions, Lemon Zest, and some Sriracha

Lamb= dried Bing cherries, Pine Nuts, Mint, Garlic and Port Wine.

Upon early taste testing all three were tasty with the Asian inspired sausage being a home run. But we’ll see tonight when I feed these to people other than myself.

I also took my first stab at infusing my own liquor last night with the hopes of coming up with a few things for our BBQ cocktail list. My three experiments are as follows:

Bourbon infused with Bacon, Maple Syrup and Walnuts
Light Rum with a Grapefruit and Mint infusion
Vodka infused with Citrus and Melon.

We’ll see how they turn out.

No comments: