Looking at food as a young New Yorker

Friday, June 6, 2008

BIG APPLE BBQ IS HERE AGAIN

The Big Apple BBQ is coming. In fact, the BBQ is tomorrow and I would feel terribly irresponsible if I didn’t remind you all about the event. I bought a fast pass last year (a good idea if you’re going with friends) and me and a group of five friends pigged out on tons of delicious BBQ.

While it is easy to eat yourself silly, the Big Apple BBQ is one of those rare chances to get food that you can’t otherwise get in NYC. I think its safe to say that BBQ in other parts of the country (where there is actual outdoor space) differs from the kind we can get at our NYC establishments such as Blue Smoke, Hill Country etc. regardless of how good our NYC pitmasters are.

Our goal last year was to try as much out of NYC BBQ as possible and to leave the stuff from the NYC guys alone. I think that over the course of an afternoon, I had two beers, two pulled pork sandwiches, two orders of ribs, cornbread, coleslaw, sausage, brisket, and one nice long nap. The best food I had was probably from Mike Mills of 17th street Bar & Grill and Michael Rodriguez of The Salt Lick BBQ in Texas, I actually still think of that brisket and sausage.

Anyway, if you don’t have plans for the weekend, or even if you do have plans and have a couple of hours on Saturday or Sunday you should definitely find some friends and make an effort to stop by the Block Party.

1 comment:

jeremy said...

http://redoubtable.org/projects/?p=6