Looking at food as a young New Yorker

Monday, December 28, 2009

My Winter Dining Spots


Holiday season is the busiest time of year in the restaurant industry. I also think it is one of the most fun times of the year to go eat in restaurants. There is something really comforting about stepping out of the cold, into a warm and full restaurant and eating satisfying winter food. When the weather is messy and cold, food is something that can provide us with comfort and warmth. To me, eating a nice meal in the winter time is similar to waking up in a cold room under a warm comforter and then going back to sleep—it makes me happy and I wish I could do it more often.

            A week after our first snow storm of the winter I provide you with a list of cold weather restaurants. These are places that make me feel comfortable, full and happy in the cold winter months.  If I was stuck in any of these restaurants during a blizzard, I know I’d feel at home. (They’re fun in warm weather too but I especially like them in the winter.)


The little owl—A tiny, cozy restaurant with dim lighting and big flavorful food. Looking at the bundled up passers through  the large windows overlooking the street (and the little stone owl on the building across the street) while enjoying gravy meatball sliders and a delicious  pork chop make you feel especially warm.

Char No 4. –Something feels right about drinking Bourbon and eating Southern comfort food in the winter.  They have over 150 whiskeys and excellent pork anything. I really enjoy the pork jowl nuggets and their BLT with thick cut fried bacon.

The Tavern Room at Gramercy Tavern

Not only does the front Tavern room at Gramercy Tavern feature an array of seasonal fauna, most of the food is cooked in an open kitchen on a wood burning grill. Not only does the fire give the room a warm and cozy feeling, but it fills the air with comforting smells as well. There is an excellent selection of wines by the glass (and by the taste if you want a smaller pour) and the food is always delicious.

The Spotted Pig

I really like the idea of trudging through the cold and stepping into a ‘gastropub.’ The first thing  I notice when I step into The Spotted Pig is the crowd. The restaurants seems to always be full and there is always a at least an hour wait for a table. That being said there are great beers on tap at the bar and I feel like Spotted Pig patrons also tend to be pretty friendly. I love eating here when I’m not in a rush to do anything in particular on the coldest of winter days. The food is always well seasoned and fairly heavy, perfect for the winter months.


Bar Veloce

I usually go to the one in the East Village and I don’t usually eat the fod here. I do however enjoy drinking a big glass (I like drinking wine in big glasses) of Italian red and having a couple of cheeses. If you can grab a seat in the closet sized space it’s a great place to start or finish a night in that neighborhood.

Shabu Tatsu

To me, the whole fun of Shabu Shabu is communal eating. You star off with a warm, aromatic broth and then proceed to cook meats, vegetables and noodles in the broth until you finally drink the (now even more flavorful broth) at the end. The whole process of sitting down and eating soup (also something I usually only consume in the winter time) in this simple yet very structured and ritualistic way makes for a fun cold weather meal.

Corner bistro


This place is a personal favorite of mine. While some may debate the quality of the burger (I think it’s delicious but consistently overcooked so order it more rare than you want) I still find myself meeting friends here time and time again.  The fact that burgers are $7 dollars and beers are $2.50 mean that you can camp out here for a long time to get out of the cold and it will still be relatively light on your wallet. It’s open late night too.
 
Frankies 457

Had dinner there the other night and really enjoyed the whole experience. The restaurant is beautiful and cozy and the food is simple, tasty and very well executed. Everything on the menu is also very affordable (generally under $20) and there are a lot of wines in the $20 to $30 dollar range which can help make any dinner a more pleasant experience.

No comments: